Snorkel between Continents in Silfra | Free Underwater Photos & Small Group
Snorkeling in Silfra is a transcontinental once-in-a-lifetime experience. The trolls will show you what National Geographic has described as one of the top dive sites in the world, in the historically rich Thingvellir National Park, part of the famous Golden Circle route. You’ll find out for yourself as you glide between tectonic plates floating on pure, filtered glacial meltwater and tick off your bucket list the ultimate tour with breathtaking underwater views and only available in Iceland in the world's clearest waters. The best part? You'll receive GoPro photos after your tour for free. What are you waiting for?
~ 3 Hours
✓ Small Group Experience ✓ Thingvellir National Park ✓ Silfra Fissure Snorkeling in Iceland ✓ North American and Eurasian tectonic plates
✓ Small group (max 6 people per guide) ✓ Certified Snorkeling Guide ✓ Free GoPro Underwater Photos ✓ All Necesary Snorkeling Equipment ✓ Warm Undersuit and Drysuit ✓ Hot drinks and cookies after the tour!
Are you ready for the adventure?
Come with the trolls to discover the amazing sights of Silfra glacial fissure in the world’s clearest waters one of the major wonders to be found in Iceland.
You will begin this tour at our meeting point at Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Once you are there, you will take a short journey through the volcanic, moss-laden fields of the park. Here, you will listen as your friendly and experienced PADI Divemaster guide provides a safety briefing. Later, you will receive all of the necessary equipment for snorkeling in Silfra, including a thermal undersuit, a drysuit, neoprene hoods and gloves, and, of course, a mask, snorkel and fins. This equipment will keep you buoyant throughout your time in the fissure, as well as offering protection against the glacial water.
Once in the water, your eyes will meet the incredible shades of blue so prevalent in the fissure, as well as the natural under-water flora canyon walls. As you are swimming you will have the opportunity to move across continents, as you will be switching back and forth from both the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, which is one of Thingvellir’s most famous characteristics. Swimming further, you will meet Silfra Hall, which is the widest section on the fissure and the majestic Silfra Cathedral, its deepest section. Even more, the stunning shallow oasis will be presented before your eyes at the end, “Real Blue Lagoon”.
Upon exiting the water, you’ll be invited to warm up hot chocolate and cookies with your friendly guides while having a nice chat. Then, after the tour is over you will receive the photos in your email to remember all the happy memories created with old and new friends.
What are you waiting for? Book this tour by selecting a date.
Important information. To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply with the following requirements
– Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – click here. We recommend you bring the Form already printed out and signed, but you cal also can sign the Form at the meeting location.
– Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
– Communicate in English at the time of the tour.
– Be physically fit.
– Not be pregnant.
– You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold.
– You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
– You must be a maximum of 69 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are 60 years of age or over, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the Medical Statement.
– You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
– If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
– Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
✓ 3 Hours (around 45 minutes in the water)
✓ All year
✓ Small group (max 6 people per guide)
✓ Certified Snorkeling Guide
✓ Free GoPro Underwater Photos
✓ All Necessary Snorkeling Equipment
✓ Warm Undersuit and Drysuit
✓ Hot drinks and cookies after the tour!
• Participants MUST have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – click here. You can also sign the form at the meeting location.
• Thick warm socks
• Long underwear
• Change of clothes (just in case)
• Contact lenses if you wear glasses
• 12 years (Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour).
• If you are driving in the area, check the hidden gem Faxi waterfall, try tomato soup at Friðheimar or Icelandic ice cream at Efstidalur.
We will see you at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket. Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
The meeting point is by our company’s van at the companies’ parking lot in Silfra. You need to park your car in parking lot P5 and walk back to the companies’ parking lot.
You can look up “Tröll Snorkel Meeting Point” on Google Maps to find the exact location. Click “Directions” on the map.
The estimated driving time from Reykjavík to Silfra is 50 minutes in good road conditions.
Where do I meet the guides for the snorkeling tour at Silfra?
The meeting point for this tour by the P5 parking lot at Thingvellir National Park. You can park your car at P5 parking lot and walk to our meeting point – CLICK HERE. You can also look up “Troll Expeditions Silfra” on Google Maps to find the exact location. After parking your car, be sure to pay the 500 ISK parking fee (it will be 750 ISK from 29 July 29th, 2018) into the parking meter. You can pay by cash or card. You need to display the parking ticket in the window of your car. This fee is not included in the tour price. From the parking lot, you need to walk around 400 meters back the same way you came to find our van marked Tröll Expeditions where our guides will meet you.
Do I need to know how to swim?
Our dry suits are buoyant and float on the water, however, it is mandatory that all participants know how to swim and feel comfortable in water to join the tour. You do not need to be a very strong swimmer, just to be able to swim and feel comfortable in the water.
Are photos included in the price of the tour?
Yes. GoPro photops are included in the price of the tour. Your guide will take photos through your tour, both outside the water and under the water and they will be sent to you via email after the tour.