Snorkeling in Silfra
Come snorkeling in Silfra in Thingvellir National Park. Swim between tectonic plates floating on pure water on breathtaking underwater views and receive GoPro photos for free afterwards!
✓ Small group experience ✓ Silfra Fissure ✓ Snorkeling between North American and Eurasian tectonic plates
✓ Small group ✓ Certified Snorkeling guide ✓ Free underwater GoPro photos ✓ Hot drinks after snorkeling ✓ All necessary Snorkeling equipment with a Drysuit ✓ Warm undersuit
Are you ready for the adventure?
Contact us on [email protected] if you wish to book a Private Tour
The Silfra Fissure is located in Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Once you arrive there, you will listen as your experienced certified PADI Dive Master provides a safety briefing. Then, you will receive all of the necessary equipment for snorkeling in Silfra, including neoprene hoods and gloves, a thermal undersuit, a drysuit, and of course mask, snorkel and fins. This equipment will keep you floating throughout your time in the fissure, as well as offering a protection against the cold glacier water. Once in the water, your eyes will meet the incredible shades of blue so prevalent in the fissure, as well as the natural underwater flora of canyon walls.
As you are swimming you will have the opportunity to move across continents, as you will be swimming between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, which is one of Thingvellir’s most famous characteristics. You will meet Silfra Hall, which is the widest section on the fissure and then the majestic Silfra Cathedral, its deepest section. Even more, the stunning shallow oasis will be presented before your eyes at the end, “the Real Blue Lagoon”.
Upon exiting the water, you’ll be invited to warm up with hot chocolate with your friendly guide. After the tour is over you will receive the free GoPro underwater photos in your email.
You get the option to book a transfer from Reykjavik as an extra.
Important information. To be able to do this tour, you have to comply the following requirements:
–Participants MUST have read and signed this Snorkeling Medical Statement before the tour – click here. We recommend that you bring the form already printed out and signed, but you can sign the form at the meeting location if not.
-Be able to swim.
-Be able to communicate in English.
-Be physically fit.
-Not be pregnant.
-You must be ready to wear a drysuit tight at the neck to protect your body from the cold water.
-You must have a height and weight of minimum 150 cm and 45 kilos, and of maximum 200 cm and 120 kilos.
-The age limit is a minimum of 12 years old and a maximum of 69 years old at the time of the tour to participate. Also, if you will be 60 years old or over at the time of the tour, you need a medical waiver signed by a doctor, available on page 2 of this Snorkeling Medical Statement – click here.
-Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied in the water by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
About 3 Hours
12 years old (participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied in the water by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour).
✓ Small group (max 6 people per guide)
✓ Certified Snorkelling guide
✓ Silfra entrance fee
✓ Free photos
✓ Snorkeling equipment and drysuit
✓ Hot drinks and cookies after the tour
✓ Pick up from Reykjavik
• Thermal underwear (thermal shirt and pants) and an extra pair of warm socks for snorkeling
• Change of clothes (just in case)
• Contact lenses if you wear glasses
• Warm clothes (first layer)
• Remove all your jewels (earrings, necklaces, watches, wrist bands, rings, etc…) before the tour
Important information. To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply the following requirements
- Participants MUST have read and signed this Snorkeling Medical Statement before the tour – click here. We recommend that you bring the form already printed out and signed, but you can sign the form at the meeting location if not.
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold.
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 69 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are 60 years old or over at the time of the tour, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the medical form.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
• We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 48 hours or less before the event.
You can look up “Troll Expedition Silfra” on Google Maps to find the exact location. Click “Directions” on the map.
Do I need to know how to swim?
Our drysuits are buoyant and float on the water, however, it is mandatory that all participants know how to swim and feel comfortable in water to join the tour. You don’t need to be a strong swimmer, just to be able to swim and feel comfortable in the water. Our tours are considered to be safe for anyone in good physical condition. We offer all the safety equipment necessary and you will be snorkeling with a professional and certified PADI Dive Master. If you have specific questions regarding our snorkeling tour, feel free to email us.
Are photos included in the price of the tour?
Yes. GoPro underwater photos are included in the price of the tour. Your guide will take photos through your tour, both outside the water and under the water and they will be sent to you via email after the tour.
What should I wear for snorkeling tour?
We recommend that you wear thermal layer top and pants, and an extra pair of warm socks that will keep you warm under our drysuit.
If I am pregnant, can I join a snorkeling tour?
Unfortunately, we do not recommend that pregnant women participate in the Silfra snorkeling tour due to the extreme conditions of snorkeling in a tight drysuit and cold glacier water. In any case, feel free to contact our Service Team for further questions and concerns.
How does weather affect my tour?
Wind and rain are common in Iceland, in addition to snow in the winter, but we do not let challenging weather stop us from going out and enjoy nature. All we need to do is choose our clothing wisely, which is why we recommend wearing waterproof jacket and pants as the second layer. Of course, safety is our #1 priority, in case of extreme weather or road conditions, we will cancel our tours and do our best to reschedule your booking at a further date or provide a full refund.